Social Stamping blog host - War & Peace




Hi and welcome to the Social Stamping Blog Host. My fabulous friend Kelly Kent is hosting this event and our theme is War & Peace. Make sure you hop around to see what each of us has created and you can go back to the main post here if you get lost so you can get back on track.

Today is ANZAC Day here in Australia (hence the theme) and this year we are commemorating differently to how we usually would. In these COVID-19 days of social distancing, dawn services and marches are unable to be held. Instead Australians were encouraged to stand on their driveway at 6 am this morning and 'Light Up the Dawn'. It certainly was a moving way to commemorate this year. It sure does put things into perspective. I have had a bit of a meh week (nothing major just isolation getting to me after 7 weeks) but days like ANZAC Day certainly are a leveler!

So ..... in thinking about our theme my mind immediately went to poppies, the symbol for ANZAC Day. Literal I know but that's how I roll! So the Poppy Moments dies sat on my desk begging for an idea to come when I remembered a really wonderful set of cards that Su Mohr made. She used a cool technique to made a stamped background to create the poppies. You can see her cards here.

I love the effect you get using Su's technique. Here is my first 2.


All 4 of my cards are Easel cards - I found 4 pre-scored bases - winning!


Once I stamped the background, I die cut 4 small poppies - 2 from my stamped background and 2 from Whisper White. Then it is a matter of carefully removing the petal innards and swap them over, fitting them in like puzzle pieces.




Making the background is easy. Use the splodge stamp from the Painted Poppies stamp set with 3 colours that are similar shades, overlapping the colours. The stamped background will look a bit meh! Pop the die over it so you can see how it will look if you are a bit worried. Once you put the flowers together it looks great. Trust me! I made 3 different backgrounds. 





Here are my other 2 using the larger poppy die.


I left it a bit late to take my photos so they are not showing up as brightly coloured as they are in real  life. I tell you ... it has made me decidedly stroppy! I did find peace in the creating .... just not the photo editing!




I hope that you can find something to do that gives you a bit of peace in this stressful time.

Next up is Michelle Strazds. Can't wait to see what she has created.

Lou

Want some great ideas to keep your creativity flowing?
The Dimensionals April Tutorial Bundle is out now - perfect timing with Easter in a week! 4 fabulous tutorials centred around the theme of chocolate.


To purchase the products I've used today you can click any of the direct links in the text above or click the 'Shop Online' tab at the top of this page. Both ways will get you directly to my online store, where you are only minutes away from getting products delivered straight to you door.

Comments

  1. Just - WOW! I've got to try this ASAP. Thanks for sharing, hope you have a less meh week this week. It feels like a never ending emotional roller coaster at the moment! Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant way to get that extraordinary beautiful mix of colours!! I love this technique!! Such stunning cards and all the white space really shows off the stunning colours. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great easel cards! The poppies look great cut from the stamped background you created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lou, what a fantastic technique, this will definitely be on my list for craft central next week. Isolation sucks , thank goodness we all have our crafting to retreat into xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the background colours of your poppies! Something I haven't seen done before. Thanks for sharing your awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou, your cards are amazing. What a great way to create a background and then use it with the inlaid technique. You get 2 different poppies from the one background. Must give it a go. Love your easel card and the majority of white space with interest added by embossing the background. The poppies are shown to perfection. I hope the coming week is a better one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. both beautiful cards Lou. I have done that background stamping with monotone and the splotch image does give a gorgeous texture effect (for another challenge) but I LOVE the multitones and the die cut inlaid pieces technique. You've been super productive with 6 cards from the one technique, love the poppy colours the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are all stunning Lou!! I am not usually a yellow/orange fan but I love your combo with the black and white details - gorgeous and very striking! I'm sorry to hear you've had a meh week and hope it improves soon. In contrast I'm having my best week since before Christmas....so nice to have a safe place to craft and time to share. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I am in love with that beautiful inking effect Lou, what a lineup! Big hugs to you lovely and l hope your week ahead is a better one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunningly gorgeous Lou and love the technique. Sending you virtual hugs and wishes for a better week x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.